Thursday, July 23, 2009

On my Soapbox (this is a long one)


As a tax-paying, voting citizen of these United States, I finally felt like my voice needed to be heard on this whole Healthcare Reform bill. I actually e-mailed the 2 Utah Senators (Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett, and my Congressman Jim Matheson. Yeah, me!)


Normally, I get very frustrated when it comes to politics. I feel like my vote doesn't matter, that Congress is going to do whatever they want, whether or not the people feel like it's going to benefit us as a nation or not. Basically, I tend to be apathetic when it comes to government and politics.


Yesterday, though, I decided enough was enough.


Lately, the whole Healthcare Reform issue has been in the spotlight, which means it's been heavily on my mind. I work in the healthcare industry - granted, the information systems/billing side, but the healthcare industry nonetheless.


I find it absolutely disconcerting that President Obama is trying to rush this bill thru Congress before they break for the summer. What's the rush? Why not spend more time getting it right? Why not pare the bill down into smaller chunks? What's up with the bill being crammed with 1,000 pages of legalese and proposed reform?


I say, let's start small. Work on improving Medicare, Medicaid and Community Health Centers. Leave the private sector alone until these programs are running better. Once they are, then let's talk about improving the insurance industry, providing more services for the uninsured and underinsured, and getting rid of any pre-existing condition clauses.


I heard on the news this morning that part of Obama's bill states that for those people who are uninsured, they will be required to get insurance, and if they refuse they will be fined. Say what? What happened to the right to choose?


Also, President Obama keeps stating that there are 45 million people in this country that are uninsured - a majority of this total happen to be people who are in this country illegally. That's right, folks, under Obama's proposed bill, your hard earned money will go to provide healthcare for people who aren't even citizens of this great nation.

You can read the bill, it's out there on the internet. And, there are many articles about it out there, too. Whether you're for it or against it, make your voice known.

Photobucket

6 comments:

mCat said...

A-effing-Men!

We need more people speaking up, and getting involved!

Great post miss Martie!

CB said...

Amen!!

I watched that new conference last night and I was SO hoping one of the questions would be about paying for illegal aliens. When is that going to be brought up?? I want to hear Obama answer that one!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to have your generation looking out for our future , and hope the world is listening-----
we are in a train wreck, and no one to pay attention: <
Bravo for each point that you made, and they do not have enough time to digest this bill, and pass it, by August 1! What-the-craziness?

Keep them thinking, cuz YASL by The Mom

dubb and dawni said...

AMEN SISTER ...enuf said !

tammy said...

Amen. You know how I feel. And I just read this: "House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will bypass the committee working on the chamber's health-care reform bill and put the legislation to a full floor vote by next week". She, like Obamacide doesn't care what most of us want. They just want it to go through and go through now. Bunch of idiots.

Wanna help me go punch her out?

tiburon said...

I love that Obama's approval rating is below 50%. Nice that people are FINALLY catching on that he is an idiot.