Wednesday, October 28, 2009

An eye opener

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not an overly emotional girl. Sure, I may get misty eyed from time to time, but unless I'm majorly ticked off or too tired to deal, I just don't cry a whole lot.

Last night, though, as I sat watching The Biggest Loser, I was overcome by Abby and her story. She is one amazingly strong woman. Two and a half years ago she lost her husband, 5 year old daughter, and 2 week old baby boy in a car accident. I cannot even begin to fathom such loss and heartache. Not gonna lie - it made me cry.

Then, to hear another contestant, Shay, talk about her struggles growing up with a heroine addict for a mom was just more than any one person should have to bear. My heart truly goes out to her.

It made me realize how truly blessed I am. I had a pretty carefree childhood with parents who loved me, protected me, and made sure I knew everyday just how treasured I was. They still make sure that I know I am loved and for that, I am grateful.

I may not have my own little family, but I do have a wonderful family and fabulous friends who make my life a happy one. I am fortunate to have a great job. I am relatively healthy. I have so much to be grateful for and sometimes I feel like I don't say it often enough.

I am blessed.

Photobucket

6 comments:

mCat said...

I totally missed that episode and that makes me sad. I'm a sucker for a good story.

And yes, you have a good fam!

Anonymous said...

Some of those stories are total tear jerkers.

I concur, you have a wonderful family!

kado! said...

ohh wow..that story sounds so sad! I'm not a crier either...but I'd tear up hearing that story!

...and yep..I know your Mom & Dad...so I can honestly say you are pretty Darn lucky to have that family! they are some awesome people! I'm lucky to get to call them my Aunt and Uncle!....and you my cousin!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

And, all of us are blessed to have YOU in our lives!!!
How was I ever so lucky to get such outstanding kids as a mom ? I will never know, but thank the Lord every day for such blessings !!!

YASL by The MOM

Travelin'Oma said...

Have I ever said I love your name? Mine is Martha H, too!

This post was a great reminder. I'm always surprised to discover that the happy childhood I took for granted is not the norm. I was blessed.

tiburon said...

You are blessed! I got teary when I saw Abby on ellen. Such a sad story.