Thursday, March 4, 2010

Follow-up visit

Yesterday I had a follow-up visit with the-best-Endocrinologist-on-the-face-of-the-planet (minus, of course, the fact that she likes me to be stuck with a needle and have the life sucked out of me every three months).

She said she was quite pleased with my progress.  My labs look great (thank goodness for that after the drama I went thru for her to even have results to look at).  My overall cholesterol levels were good.  My triglycerides, however, were a different story.  They were at 201, which is the highest they've ever been.  She asked, "What did you eat on Sunday?"  My response, "Nothing bad."  We figured out the reason for the super elevated triglycerides was due to my having eaten a burger and fries at Five Guys Burgers and Fries on Saturday.  I rarely eat burgers and fries.  Honest.  And, from the results of my blood work, I won't be eating there again for a very long time to come.  It's so not worth it.

Other than that, my blood pressure was back to normal and my weight was down.  I told her that I'm feeling great, but I'm frustrated because I seem to have hit a plateau on the weightloss front.  She very gently reminded me that I have a diagnosed metabolic condition (PCOS, which is related to diabetes), and that I need not be so hard on myself.  She can see that I am making progress.

She gave me a goal: lose another 10 pounds by my next visit in June.  Here's hoping I can do it and that my body will take the challenge seriously.


Photobucket

5 comments:

mCat said...

Listen up Martie's body.
Don't make me kick your ass - get your weight loss going NOW!

There, I've spoken with your body and if it knows what's good for it, it will listen to me!

Jamie said...

Tammy over at time flies sent me your link. I have PCOS. Kicked myself for years about weight issues. Decided to be kind to myself and try harder every day to get control of this beast. I have begged for refferals to an enfocronologist. Can't get one have any pointers?

Martha H. said...

Diaper Diva,

You can't get a referral to an endocrinologist, or you just don't know where/how to find one? I just looked on my insurances website and went from there, but we also don't need referrals. If you can't find an endocrinologist, you can usually find an internist that should know about PCOS. I have found the endocrinologist to be the best, though. They will put you on prescriptions to help you with PCOS - metformin, spironolactone, finasteride. Good times. Let me know if you have other questions. You can leave your e-mail address in a comment and I promise not to publish it.

kado! said...

ahhh...love me some Metformin!

hey we have a 5 guys here in our town and I LOVE them...just order the burger with out meat and load it up with TONS of other goodies...grilled onions, mushrooms, pickles...you will never miss the nasty gross fattening disgusting make me gauge meat!! (do you think I hate ground beef?..hmmm) Oh..and NO cheese too! come visit me...I'll teach you how to order a burger!

tiburon said...

Glad you have had some good progress! I hope I can follow in your footsteps :)