Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Parents Have Been Called on a Mission

Over a month ago, my mom struck fear into my very being when she uttered the words, "We've been called to serve a mission for the church." 

In the span of about one minute, my brain filled with all the stuff me and Ryan would have to deal with while they were gone (the house, the yard, the dog, etc.) and I felt selfish for thinking these things along with wondering what I'd do during the holidays.  Oh, and how was I going to talk to them every Sunday like I have for the past 20 years?  These are my parents we're talking about here.  MY parents, whom I love and adore.  I didn't want them going away and being out of reach for 18 months.  Selfish, I know, but I just couldn't help it.

After uttering those fateful words, though, mom told me where they were being called to serve and it actually made me giddy for them (and for us kids).  They've been called to serve at the Boise State University Institute as service missionaries.  How cool is that?  They get to hang out with college students Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.  Talk about a cushy gig.  I know they'll be perfect for the job.

Their mission starts today at 4:30 p.m.  My dad asked me last Sunday if I would be willing to help support them financially on their mission.  (He's so silly.  There's no expense or cost for this mission.)  And OF COURSE, being the fabulous daughter that I am, I told him I'd bankroll the entire thing.   

Happy serving mom and dad!  I know the kids will LOVE you both and you'll love being with them.


Photobucket

3 comments:

IdahoGirl said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You posted!!!!!!!!!!!!

My heart dropped too when I read the blog title....no bueno going overseas right now!

I'm so glad their mission is across town.

I'll donate to the cause as well ;)

CB said...

That is awesome!! What a great mission :-D

tammy said...

You are such a good daughter to bankroll the whole thing.

I had no idea such a mission even existed!